Thursday, April 21, 2016

Box Surfing


I mentioned that there were two big cardboard boxes in the garage.  The first one wasn't that sturdy, but the second one is the box for my new Honda lawn mower that I got last year, and it's quite sturdy.   Like the other one, I thought the kids deserved a chance to have some fun with it before I recycled it.  So I brought it in, and they realized they could slide down it, as it is strong enough that with one side bent it, the other sides stay in place.  So here they are using it as a slide.  I'm not sure why Hannah is wearing her swimming floatie, other than that she just likes to wear it.


But then they realized there was a better option.  Why slide down it, when you can surf down it?  They collected various pillows (couch pillows, decorative bed pillows, etc.) and used them as surf boards, or, in the case of Hannah, who likes to play it a little safer in general, sleds.  I don't think they actually know what surfing is, so they weren't trying to emulate that, but rather they just figured it would be fun to stand on the pillows as they went down the slope.  And again, that's not something Hannah would ever do, but she was plenty excited to sit on a pillow and slide down.  I'm not considering keeping this box as a permanent fixture in our living room, as it doesn't exactly go with the look we are wanting (the trash-as-furniture look might be popular somewhere, but we prefer the more traditional furniture-as-furniture look), but the kids really enjoyed it, so I'll probably keep it for a little longer and give them a few more nights of playing with it before I recycle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment