Sunday, March 20, 2016

Brothers Golfing


 When my mom married Ron, I ended up with two new brothers. That could have turned out poorly. After all, I was going to be spending a lot of time with these guys for the rest of our lives, and there are many people who can't stand their family members. But it couldn't have worked out better. Matt and David are great guys. I love them as my brothers, and I also really enjoy hanging out with them. My sisters expanded the group of us guys by bringing Andrew and Kirk into the fold. Again, I struck gold. The five of us are the guys in our generation of the Nicholl clan, and I feel so blessed that I really like every one of them.  Matt and David will each have daughters by the end of this year (Matt sooner, and David later), and Andrew will soon have another son, so I wanted to organize an event for all of us to hang out before everyone's lives get busier.  Kirk is still in Houston with Joanna (for now - thankfully they'll be moving back some time this summer), so I knew it would just have to be me, Andrew, Matt, and David.

I'd heard good things about Topgolf, so I thought that would be a fun activity for us to do.  So tonight was the night that worked for all of our schedules.  Topgolf is really fun, because you don't necessarily have to be good at golf.  You play in a bay that looks out over an expanse of turf that has multiple targets worth different point values.  So even if you don't hit it very far, or if you slice it or hook it, there's still a chance you'll end up with some points.  We played for a couple hours and enjoyed some surprisingly good food and some frosty beverages.  We talked about random topics, and those of us with babies offered advice to those of us without babies.  And we smashed tons of golf balls all over the place.  Andrew started off really well, David was steady throughout, and Matt finished strong and held off a last-minute comeback attempt by me to win the title for the night.  It was a really fun night, and I'm really happy we were able to squeeze it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment