Saturday, March 19, 2016

Two Scottie Dog-Loving Girls


My heritage, like nearly every American at this point, is a mix. Mostly Norwegian, then Swedish, then Scottish, then Irish.  The Scottish part comes mostly from my Grandma Hall’s side.  She has always been proud of it, and I got the most exposure to it when we lived with my grandparents in ’88 and ’89.  I got to go to Robert Burns-related events, outdoor Scottish games (my first exposure to the awesome caber toss event), etc.  And of course my grandma has always had various Scotland-themed items around her house.  Partly because of this, I developed an affinity for the same things.  I think tartans are really cool.  Incidentally, K-State just unveiled their first official tartan.  And while I don’t know whether Scottish people think things like that are a nice homage to the Scottish heritage or an inauthentic, pandering knock-off, I thought it was pretty cool to have my school work to create something based on a part of my heritage that I love.  I’ve always liked tartans, especially after it was explained to me that they are all actually different and therefore are unique to each clan or whichever entity has registered it.  And then there are bagpipes.  Bagpipes are the coolest instrument on the planet.  I love hearing them any time the opportunity arises.  Aside from those, the thing that perhaps has most inundated popular culture is the Scottie dog (actually a Scottish Terrier).  People love Scottie dogs, and rightfully so.  

Hannah, as has been noted on this blog many times, is very picky about her clothing.  She flat-out refuses to wear many things.  But for the things she accepts, she latches on to some of them pretty strongly.  Meghan bought this Scottie dog outfit for Hannah at Costco. Hannah wanted it, but Meghan was worried she wouldn’t wear it because of the tights, but Hannah ended up loving tights and loving the outfit.  Hannah now wears it every chance she gets, which is any time she finds it in her drawer, which is immediately after it has been washed the previous time.  Every time she has worn it, I’ve thought about how my grandma would really like the outfit and would especially like that it’s basically Hannah’s current favorite outfit.  So today when Hannah wore it, I decided to drive the kids over to Grandpa and Grandma’s house so we could all hang out for awhile and also so Grandma could get to see Hannah in her outfit.  We had a good time there, and here is the picture of the two girls who each love at least one thing about Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment