Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day With Some of My Kids



As is my tradition now, on Father's Day I go for a bike ride.  Last year I went the farthest I've ever gone, with a 22-mile roundtrip.  I was determined to go farther this year, which isn't necessarily logical, as I'm only getting older and not riding very often throughout the year (and mostly slow-paced family rides when I do).  But I'm too competitive to not compete with myself, or in this case my past self, so when I got to my turnaround point last year (the 3.5-mile marker; I start at the 14.5-mile marker), I kept going.  I went all the way to the end, which is effectively the 0-mile marker.  That made the roundtrip 29 miles!  It's hard to think I went 29 miles in anything other than a car, but I definitely did.  It was near my limit, though, as I was having to press really hard on some of the way back, and I had to walk up two or three major hills.  But I'm really satisfied that I made it.  I'm not sure what I'll do next year to top that, since the trail doesn't go any further.  But I'll figure something out.

Earlier in the day we had our Father's Day celebration. Unfortunately, Clara had a total meltdown, so she wasn't able to be in the picture.  It was disappointing to have to take my Father's Day picture without all three of my children, but that's how it went this year.  She calmed down later, of course, and everything was fine.  But I love my three little guys so much (even when they throw tantrums), and I'm so blessed to be their father.

No comments:

Post a Comment