Sunday, February 28, 2016

Let's Go Fly a Kite


Today I took the kids to fly a kite.  None of them had ever done it before, and I haven't done it for, I don't know, a really long time.  It wasn't as easy as I'd hoped.  We had a nice kite and a cheap kite, and for our first day of kite flying I decided to start with the cheap kite, which was a Minions one that cost like $8 or something.  In retrospect, maybe I should have used the better kite, because we spent the vast majority of our time with the kite on the ground, like you see here.  It was pretty hard to get it up in the air.  And when it was in the air, it wasn't very high and wasn't there for very long.  Even though most of the rest of the pictures are of the kite in the air, those were the rare moments, for the most part.
When I finally got it in the air for a bit, the kids were really excited and tried to chase it and catch it.

The wind picked up a bit, and I started to improve my technique somewhat, so I was able to give each kid a chance to fly the kite.

                  This is the highest we got the kite, which is actually a pretty decent altitude.


The funniest moment was when Hannah was chasing it when it was flying low, and the wind changed directions and blew it right on her face.  She thought it was hilarious.  The kids had a lot of fun overall, but hopefully next time we do it, we'll have better overall experience at least in terms of the percentage of time the kite is in the air.  We'll use the b

No comments:

Post a Comment