Saturday, July 16, 2016

My 20th Reunion


I'm not sure it's right, but the math somehow seems to back it up: I graduated from high school 20 years ago.  As such, my graduating class held our 20th reunion this summer, and it was tonight in Leavenworth.  I went to my 10-year reunion, and I don't think we had a 15-year one.  I had been thinking about what reunions would be like in the Facebook age.  Would people be less likely to go?  One of the reasons people go to reunions is to see how people have changed and what's the latest in their life.  But with Facebook, since most people our age have it, you know that stuff about most other people in your class, though certainly not for everyone.  For me though, it actually made me want to go more.  I feel like I have more or a relationship with my classmates because of Facebook.  So I was looking forward to going.  In the afternoon there was a tour of the new high school, as one of our classmates is an administrator there.  It was fascinating to see how high schools have changed.  They don't even have any lockers!  After that, we had some time before the reunion, so I stopped by my old houses, and also drove around town a bit.  Here's our second house in Lansing.  When I lived there, I never really thought about how oddly-shaped it was with that huge sloping roof.  I met up with Jeff and Josie when they arrived, and we drove by their old house too, which was the house Jeff lived in when we met in 1992.  We then went to the reunion, and it was really quite fun.  It was great to talk to so many of my old friends, some of whom I hadn't seen since the 10-year one, and many not since we graduated in 1996.  It was a fun day, and I'll likely prioritize going to the next one, whether it's 25 or 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment