Saturday, July 23, 2016

My Improved Lawn Maintenance Life



When we bought our first house in Olathe in 2003, I asked for and received a trimmer/edger as a gift, as I wanted to edge along the driveway and sidewalk when possible.  But that didn't happen very often, for several reasons.  First, it had a two-cycle engine, so I had to deal with having the right gas and oil mixture, keeping it on hand, and keeping it fresh.  Also, it was really heavy.  I'm reasonably strong, but it was a chore to use. And lastly, I just didn't think that it (or probably more accurately my use of it) did a very good job.  So I basically stopped using it years ago.  Recently though, I saw a combination package with a trimmer/edger and a blower.  I thought about how I spend a lot of time along the back fence ripping out the grass up against it, when really a weed whacker would make the job easier.  So I bought it, and it's changed my life.  That may be a bit strong, but it's been great.  First, it's battery-powered.  The blower and the trimmer share a battery, which is fine.  Before I mow, I put the charged-up battery in the trimmer, and use it as a weed whacker to go along the entire perimeter of the fence, along all the decorative rocks that ring the trees, along the edge of the deck, along the concrete downspout things, along the outside of the house, and basically everywhere that I'd previously been spending extra time during the mowing process.  After that I can then mow the yard very quickly, and the total time spent is a fair amount less than I used to, and it looks better.

On top of that I then edge along the driveway and the front walk (we don't have a sidewalk in this house), so that looks way better.  Then I switch the battery to the blower (I do need to charge it while I mow), and blow the grass clippings off the driveway.  It looks great, and is really easy.  I'm so glad I made that purchase.  Joshua likes to ride his bike in the cul-de-sac when I mow the front yard, and I thought he might really enjoy using the blower, so today I asked him if he wanted to help, and he was really excited to do so.  Here he is helping me out, still wearing his bike helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment